Here I got SWING JOURNAL, Jan.1966.
SWING JOURNAL had a lot of interesting articles.
There is a pole by jazz critics in Japan, called “BEST JAZZ RECORDS IN 1965”.
Following is the result. It is interesting to see each critic had his own preference, however, 10 critics result became highly reasonable !!
- A LOVE SUPREME/ JOHN COLTRANE
- PITHECANTHROPUS ERECTUS/ CHARLES MINGUS
- THE LAST RECORDING/ ERIC DOLPHY
- MY FUNNY VALENTINE/ MILES DAVIS
- E.S.P./ MILES DAVIS
- COLLABORATION/ M.J.Q. WITH LAURINDO ARMEIDA
- GUITAR FORMS/ KENNY BURREL
- MILES DAVIS IN EUROPE
- THE INDIVIDUALISM OF GIL EVANS
- FOUR FOR TRANE/ ARCHIE SHEPP
- CANADIANA SUITE/ OSCAR PETERSON
- STITT PLAYS BIRD/ SONNY STITT
- MINGUS REVISITTED/ CHARLES MINGUS
- SONNY ROLLINS ON IMPULSE
10 critics in Japan polled.
Quite unfortunately all of them are already left.
They are alive mainly on magazines like SWING JOURNAL. It is so nice to read again to see them !!